Traditional oral mucosal examination tools rely on reflected light to visualize the oral cavity. VELscope® Vx uses tissue fluorescence rather than reflectance. Natural tissue fluorescence is caused by "fluorophores" that, when excited by light of an appropriate wavelength (e.g. blue), will emit their own light at a longer wavelength (e.g. green). The resulting fluorescence can reveal a great deal about cellular, structural, and/or metabolic activity changes that are often directly related to disease processes occurring inside the tissue. The VELscope® Vx system is a powerful device for the discovery of mucosal abnormalities such as:
- Viral, fungal and bacterial infections
- Inflammation from a variety of causes (lichen planus and lichenoid reactions, allergy to amalgam fillings, etc.)
- Squamous papillomas
- Salivary gland tumors
- Cancer and pre-cancer
- Other oral conditions
Unlike other adjunctive devices used by dentists, the VELscope® Vx system does not require any dyes or prolonged testing procedures. In fact, VELscope® Vx examinations can be performed in the dentist's office during routine hygiene exams (and under normal lighting conditions) in about two minutes.
- Helps you find things which may be hard to see otherwise i.e. offers an imaging modality which is extremely sensitive to tissue changes.
- Provides visual information that is bright and easy to observe within the typical lighting conditions in a dental operatory.
- Clinically proven for the discovery of mucosal abnormalities, and for use by specialists in helping establish lesion margins for surgical excision.
- A very important tool in the fight against oral cancer